Reporter Alexandra Robbins’ new book Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth contends that if you’re brainy or nerdy in high school, you may be more successful later in life. Her book follows 7 kids in private and public high schools who are not in the ‘popular crowd’. She investigates the difference between people saying you are popular and being popular because people genuinely like you as a person. She concluded that kids that refuse to conform and are a little bit different in high school, are more likely to be successful as an adult. In her book she includes names of well-know celebrities who were taunted for being different in school, and are now big success stories. Director Steven Spielberg was teased for being Jewish and is now one of the best directors in Hollywood and Lady Gaga was called a ‘theatre-nerd’ and is now a pop icon!
How Well Do You “Read” People? Take this free (anonymous) test…
Did you know that up to 80% of a human being's ability to "read" other people -- that is the ability to understand what another person is feeling whether it be love, anger, sadness, etc. -- comes from observing another person's eyes?
Folks with ASD (autism spectrum disorder) often are unable to read the eyes.Take this simple test by autism expert Simon Barron-Cohen (yes, he IS Sacha's uncle!) to see how you do on the people reading scale.
Free People Skills Test
Here is a fun, free Social Skills Test from psychtests.com>. It takes about 30 minutes, it's anonymous (you don't even give your email address) and the results will tell you a lot about your people skills and in what areaa you might use a tune-up.
What's fun about it? Questions like these:
- When talking to people, I pay attention to their body language (ex. facial expression, hand movement, etc.)
- I manage to express my ideas clearly.
- I feel free to politely voice my disagreement with someone in a position of authority
- I am completely at ease when a conversation shifts to the topic of feelings
- I would rather bite my tongue than start a conflict.
- Is Giving the Secret to Getting Ahead?
- CalTech Tries to Teach Tech Wizards People Skills
- Uncle of Sacha Barron-Cohen’s discovers that eyes really are ‘the window to the soul’
- ON BECOMING A SUPER GEEK
- Good News Beats Bad on Social Networks – from the New York Times
- Ny times Your Phone vs. Your Heart
- Wired.com – The Geek Syndrome
- 32-Year Study Shows How Geeky Kids Become Happy Adults
- It’s all about who you know – New York Times
- MIT is a charm school?!